St. David Street Park


    The land for St. David Street Park was donated by Mrs. Jean Williams and Mrs. Murle Nelson around 1951 when this area of town was being developed into housing lots to accommodate the growth of the DuPont plant. Barrus Construction Co. was persuaded by Mrs. Janie Mae Mewborn to build tennis courts on the park property. Around 1978 the Jaycees tore down the outdated park and began building a larger one with funds from the town, Shad Festival, Jaycees, and private donations, which was matched by a NC Heritage and Conservation grant.

    In the early 80’s picnic tables, a shelter, and playground equipment were added to the park. In 1985 the tennis courts were resurfaced and fenced in. More recently in 2002, a large new playground unit was installed, as well as a paved one-quarter-mile walking trail, six new decorative lights, three new grills, four picnic tables, four benches, and a flag pole. The park also houses a large structure with bathrooms that is rented by the town for public use.


  • Community Center

  • Picnic Shelter

  • Play Equipment

  • Tennis

  • Trails

Trail Details

  • Trail Length (Miles) 0.25
  • Trail Surface Paved
  • Trail Lighting No
  • Trail Benches Yes
  • Greenway No


St. David Street Park
St David St
Grifton, NC 28530